Video: Giant Peanut Butter Cup Cake Recipe. Updated and Improved Version.
One of the goals I had this year was not only to post more recipes, but to also revisit my most popular from years past and improve them based on feedback. I figured that was a manageable goal.
Especially considering my other two goals were to become Jason Bateman’s lover, and learn to bake drunk without injuring myself. When I come up with dreams, I follow them. Follow them hard. Until IÂ getÂ slapped with a restraining order and covered in burns and cuts.
I created this recipe for a giant peanut butter cup cake some time ago, and it’s quite popular. Improvements include more clear instructions, a better chocolate cake filling, and a ganache that is easier to peel from the mold. PLUS an instructional giant peanut butter cup cake video!
This Reese’s GIANT peanut butter cup cake consists of moist chocolate cake, with a layer of sweet peanut butter filling. It’s covered in chocolate ganache, and looks exactly like a peanut butter cup!
Peanut butter and chocolateÂ solves problems. If Republicans and Democrats were forced to eat pb and chocolate together every day,Â they’d end up besties foreva.
Oh and we are throwing a giveaway! An entire basket of goodies, by Peanut Butter & CoÂ and RodelleÂ . Enter at the end of the post for a collection of delicious peanut butter flavors, and Rodelle baking products.
Ingredients for Giant Peanut Butter Cup Cake Recipe. Updated and Improved Version
FOR THE CAKE
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
3/8 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup boiling water
Optional: Chocolate extract
FOR THE PEANUT BUTTER FILLING
1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup peanut butter (mayÂ add a little more or less peanut butter depending on preference)
6 T (or 3/8 cup)Â of confectioners sugar
FOR THE GANACHE
5 T heavy cream
1 Â 3/4Â 4.4 ounce Giant Hershey bars
3/4 cup andÂ 3 T heavy cream
5 Â 1/4 4.4 ounce Giant Hershey bars
Giant cupcake moldÂ (required)
***If you are considering posting up photos or ideas from this Giant Peanut Butter Cup Cake Recipe and Video post or any other posts I am truly happy that you are excited and find my recipes interesting enough to share with others. Please see copyright standards in the footer (bottom) BEFORE you use photographs and/writing from this website
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in bowl. Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla and stir. Pour inÂ boiling water and whip on high speed for about a minute.
Pour 1 1/4 cups of batter into giant cupcake silicone mold (sprayed with vegetable oil) and bake for about 35 minutes. You will have enough batter to bake two cakes!
Once cake is cool, push out of mold. Slice top of cake to level off, then cut cake into two layers. Carefully trim around theÂ side of the cake. You want the two layers to be smaller than the inside of the mold so that it fits in with space around the edge.
Combine peanut butter, graham cracker crumbs, and confectioners sugar in food processor on high speed. Spoon onto a pieceÂ of wax or parchment paper.
Trace the bottom of the cupcake mold onto a piece of wax or parchment paper. Place this piece on top of peanut butter mixture and roll with a rolling pin until it extends to edges of drawn circle.Â Use a sharp knife to cut along inside of circle. Remove excess peanut butter.
Place peanut butter in fridge to firm up a bit.
You will make ganache twice. First, for the bottom of the giant peanut butter cup cake, then to fill the sides and cover the top. Begin by tracing bottom of mold onto a piece of parchment paper. Cut out along inside of line and place in bottom of cupcake mold.
For bottomÂ ganache layer, pour 5 tablespoons of heavy cream into saucepan and heat on low. Chop up 1 3/4 giant chocolate Hershey bars into small pieces. You can use a hand blender by KitchenAidÂ to break it up.
Once cream is warm enough to melt a piece of chocolate, add chocolate in and whisk until smooth. Pour into clean mold and refrigerate.
Place first layer of cake circle, peanut butter layer, and then second layer of cake on top of hardened ganache. The circles should be the same, even size. I try to make my peanut butter layer thicker than the cake layers. Make certain that there is space between the fillings and the side of the mold so as to leave space for ganache.
Heat 3/4 cup + 3 tablespoons of heavy cream in pot and whisk in 5 1/4 giant chocolate bars until smooth. Pour down sides ofÂ cake and peanut butter layers until filled,Â then onÂ top toÂ totally cover.
Refrigerate until hardened. Peel from mold when fully firm.
If you end up with extra ganache you can save that to make the two other tiers for your giant peanut butter cup cake.
Â TIPS AND ADDITIONAL OPTIONS:
-You will end up baking two different cakes. You will also have some leftoverÂ peanut butter filling, and maybe some ganache. You can make an additionalÂ giant peanut butter cup cake with the extra cake, or save the cake to make THREE tiers.Â UseÂ a largeÂ cupcake silicone liner and a regular-sized silicone cupcake liner, create a “medium” and a small pb cup cake for a three tiered cake. Walah!
Just reheat ganache and coat bottom with chocolate, then refrigerate.Â UseÂ appropriateÂ sized circle cookieÂ cutters to cut out two layers of cake per cup, then a layer of peanut butter. Press cake in, pb in, and more cake into cupcake liners. Reheat or make moreÂ ganache and pour down sides, thenÂ top in molds.Â Watch the video tutorial to see these instructions.Â
– Use any of the unique flavors from Peanut Butter & Co to create a pb filling with a twist for yourÂ giant peanut butter cup cake.Â Flavors include, crunchy, honey, cinnamon raisin, dark chocolate, white chocolate, and spicy.Â
– StoreÂ the giant peanut butter cup cakeÂ in the refrigerator. Before serving, remove and allow to come to room temp to soften the ganache. This makes it easier to cut and eat.
– It is a VERY rich cake, so although it is not a large cake, each servingÂ should only be a thing slice. This cake will serve more people than it appears to. Trust me on this. It is meant to be savored, not fill your belly. That’s what dinner is for.Â
– DO NOT rush through making this. Take your time andÂ following eachÂ step. Some people have had issues with the cake, then found success the second attempt when they were moreÂ attentive and chill.Â
– You can make all of the parts ahead of time. You can make the entire cake ahead of time. You can freeze it as well, although I cannot tell you the max time for freshness because it usually gets eaten up.
– Make sure chocolate is chopped into very small bits for the ganache.Â SubmergeÂ all of it as much as possibleÂ into cream. Immediately whisk quickly (without splatttering) and constantly until chocolate is smooth and without chunks.Â It will take a bit of arm work and a few minutes to mix it through. Do this with diligence and it will come out beautifully.
-Â If you have a question leave in the comments and I will try my best to assist you 🙂
OKAY NOW WATCH THE VIDEO HERE!:
Also subscribe to my Youtube channel here.
Visit my Youtube page here.
I told you. The giant peanut butter cup cake will solve all world crises.
I love this three-tiered giant peanut butter cup cake, because it creates a dramatic look. No baby drama. Just dessert drama.
Don’t forget you can use different peanut butter flavors in the largeÂ peanut butter cup cake. Here you see cinnamon raisin, dark chocolate, and white chocolate.
To see my original version of the giant peanut butter cup cake, click here.
NOW FOR OUR GIVEAWAY!!
Your basket will include:
- Rodelle Pure Madagascar Bourbon Extract
- RodelleÂ Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Beans
- Rodelle Vanilla Bean Paste
- Rodelle Organics Chocolate Extract
- Rodelle Gourmet Baking Cocoa
- Rodelle tote bag
- Peanut Butter & Co.Â Dark Chocolate Dreams
- Peanut Butter & Co.Â White Chocolate Wonderful
- Peanut Butter & Co.Â Cinnamon Raisin Swirl
- Peanut Butter & Co. Beeâ€™s Knees.
- Peanut Butter & Co Crunch Time
- Peanut Butter & CoÂ Smooth Operator
- Peanut Butter & CoÂ Mighty Maple
Congrats to our winner Rayna!!
Please email jasmin (at) 1finecookie (dot) com to retrieve your prize pack.
Rodelle and Peanut Butter & Co Package
*Â Bucket not includedÂ
- You do NOT have permission to paste or share this recipe anywhere without the authorâ€™s permission. Please see copyright standards in the footer of site. Visit: 1finecookie.com Search: â€œPeanut Butter Cup Cakeâ€ for photos, supply list and detailed instructions. Or click here
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅜ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, beans, or paste
- ½ cup boiling water
- ¼ cup graham cracker crumbs
- ½ cup peanut butter (may add a little more or less peanut butter depending on preference)
- 6 T (or ⅜ cup) of confectioners sugar
- 5 T heavy cream, and 1¾ (4.4 ounce) Giant Hershey bars
- ¾ cup + 3 T heavy cream, and 5¼ (4.4 ounce) Giant Hershey bar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in bowl. Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla and stir. Add boiling water and whip on high speed for about a minute.
- Pour 1¼ cups of batter into mold and bake for 35 minutes. Once cake is cool, slice top to level off, then cut cake into two layers.
- Combine peanut butter, graham cracker crumbs, and confectioners sugar in food processor on high speed. Remove from processor and roll between two pieces of wax paper. Cut out into circle.
- Create bottom ganache layer. Pour 5 tablespoons of heavy cream into saucepan and heat on low. Chop up 1¾ giant chocolate bars into small pieces. Once cream is warm enough to easily melt a piece of chocolate, add chocolate in and whisk until smooth. Pour into clean mold and refrigerate.
- Place first layer of cake circle, peanut butter layer, and then second layer of cake on top of hardened ganache.
- Heat ¾ cup + 3 tablespoons of heavy cream in pot and whisk in 5¼ giant chocolate bars until smooth. Pour over cake and peanut butter layers until sides are filled and top is totally covered.
- Refrigerate until hardened. Peel from mold.
- FOR MORE DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS, visit 1FINECOOKIE.COM